With the first snow(s) of the season upon us here in Colorado, I wanted to share a quick, convenient & mostly healthy recipe for a favorite single-serving meal or snack that will warm you right up – RAMEN!
While I know this recipe calls for an actual packet of instant Ramen (say what?!! That sh*t is baaad for you), we won’t actually be using the flavor packet which contains most of this bad stuff, i.e. MSG & a ton of sodium (1,820 mg). To keep you from ingesting over half of your recommended daily sodium allowance (2300 mg) in one sitting , we will substitute low sodium chicken broth that has a mere *72mg* of sodium and NO MSG 🙂
It’s also really hard to find recipes that are doable when you’re just cooking for one, which is why I love this! FYI – on my first attempt, I added too much broth and had awkward broth-y leftovers that I ended up pouring down the sink. If you want to truly do this no-waste style, then just boil the amount that you think you’re capable of consuming – the same goes for the noodles (i.e. half a brick vs. whole brick).
Read on for the recipe!
Healthy(ier) Ramen Noodles
Makes 1 Serving
- 1 packet Top Ramen (any flavor) noodles
- 1 Carton Swanson Natural Goodness Chicken Broth w/ 33% Less Sodium (32 oz.), or other low sodium chicken broth.
- 1 Bunch Raw Broccoli, Broken into bite sized pieces
- 5 Baby Carrots (or 1 small carrot), peeled and chopped
- 1-2 Green Onion stalks, chopped
- Olive Oil for sautee-ing purposes.
Optional ingredients (but preferred):
- 1 runny to semi-runny egg, chef’s choice on preparation (I prefer poached [pictured], but you can also fry it to make it easier!)
- Smattering of Cholula Original Hot Sauce (Optional b.c. it’s not that good for you)
Let’s do the damn thing (Instructions):
- Sautee broccoli and carrots in olive oil over medium heat until cooked through but not brown. Set aside.
- Poach or fry 1 egg to your desired temperature (recommended runny). Carefully set aside in small bowl (the goal is NOT to pop the yolk until it’s in your soup!)
- In a small saucepan, bring 2.5 Cups (or your preferred amount – enough to cover the noodle block) of Chicken Broth to a boil.
- When broth is boiling, add JUST THE NOODLES (not the seasoning) from the Ramen packet to the broth and cook for ~2 minutes (or until soft), stirring occasionally.
- When noodles are cooked, carefully spoon desired amount of noodles and soup into a large bowl.
- Add your preferred amount of the cooked veggies and green onions and stir lightly.
- Carefully place egg on top of noodles (try not to pop the yolk!) and drizzle bowl with Cholula.
Enjoy immediately 🙂